Illustrated by Don Tate
Included on the 2017-18 Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List and 20 other state reading lists
A cool idea with a big splash!
You know the Super Soaker. It’s one of the top twenty toys of all time. And it was an accidental discovery that brought it into being. Trying to create a new cooling system for refrigerators and air conditioners, inventor Lonnie Johnson instead created the mechanics for the iconic toy.
A love for rockets, robots, inventions, and a mind for creativity were present in Lonnie Johnson’s early life. Growing up in a house full of siblings, Lonnie demonstrated persistence and a passion for problem solving that became the cornerstone of his career as an engineer and his work with NASA. But it is Lonnie’s invention of the Super Soaker water gun that has made the most memorable splash in popular culture.
Named one of the best children’s books of the year by:
- American Booksellers Association
- American Society for Engineering Education, the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association, the National Science Teachers Association, the Society of Elementary Presidential Awardees and the Children’s Book Council (CBC)
- Bank Street College of Education
- Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature
- Chicago Public Library
- Denver Public Library
- International Literacy Association and the CBC
- Kirkus Reviews
- Nerdy Book Club
- New York Public Library